MIT – Loughborough University IAP Exchange
Loughborough University in the UK is home to the Sports Technology Research Group, one of the world’s leading research groups of its kind and the largest in the UK. The group has established an international reputation for its work with global brands including Adidas, Callaway Golf, Canterbury of New Zealand, Dunlop, Head, New Balance, Nike, Reebok, Slazenger, Spalding, Speedo and Umbro on the design, simulation, testing and manufacture of sporting goods. Approximately 50 academics, research associates, technicians and PhD students carry out wide-ranging research on topics including athletic footwear, technical apparel, protective equipment, balls, bats, clubs, rackets and fitness equipment.
The exchange takes place over IAP and students spend 2 weeks getting acquainted with the facilities and staff at the institute. Opportunities to explore the various testing equipment and research programs will be encouraged with the hopes of students spending a longer period of time at the Institute over the upcoming summer working on a personalized project.
Dates for the 2014 program: January 19 – 31.
Housing will be provided by Lougborough University but participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements (more information on getting to Loughborough is available here).
How to Apply
If you would like to apply to be part of the 2014 IAP exchange please email the following to Sean Buhrmester (email@example.com)
- One Page (at most) document addressing the following questions
- Describe a multidisciplinary project you’ve done. Did the experience force you to learn a skill that you have never done before? How did you adapt to that challenge? What was the most exciting part of the work?
- Besides travel, what’s something you could accomplish at the Sports Technology Insititute that you couldn’t at MIT?
- Propose 3 sports related research areas or questions that interest you. (1-2 sentences per idea is fine)
Key Dates for 2013/2014
- December 13, 2013 – Application Due
- December 16, 2013 – Decision – Offers extended
- December 20 – Accepted student deadline for accepting/declining offer
Questions? Please contact Sean Buhrmester at firstname.lastname@example.org