MIT – Loughborough University IAP Exchange
Loughborough University in the UK is home to the Sports Technology Research Group, one of the world’s leading research groups of its kind and the largest in the UK. The group has established an international reputation for its work with global brands including Adidas, Callaway Golf, Canterbury of New Zealand, Dunlop, Head, New Balance, Nike, Reebok, Slazenger, Spalding, Speedo and Umbro on the design, simulation, testing and manufacture of sporting goods. Approximately 50 academics, research associates, technicians and PhD students carry out wide-ranging research on topics including athletic footwear, technical apparel, protective equipment, balls, bats, clubs, rackets and fitness equipment.
The first exchange takes place over IAP and students spend 2 weeks getting acquainted with the facilities and staff at the institute. Opportunities to explore the various testing equipment and research programs will be encouraged with the hopes of students spending a longer period of time at the Institute over the upcoming summer working on a personalized project.
Dates for the 2014 program: January 19 – 31.
Housing will be provided by Lougborough University but participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements (more information on getting to Loughborough is available here).
How to Apply for the IAP Exchange
If you would like to apply to be part of the 2014 IAP exchange please email the following to Susan Brown (email@example.com)
- One Page (at most) document addressing the following questions
- Describe a multidisciplinary project you’ve done. Did the experience force you to learn a skill that you have never done before? How did you adapt to that challenge? What was the most exciting part of the work?
- Besides travel, what’s something you could accomplish at the Sports Technology Insititute that you couldn’t at MIT?
- Propose 3 sports related research areas or questions that interest you. (1-2 sentences per idea is fine)
How to Apply for the LU Summer Internship
STE@M and STI are pleased to announce the Loughborough/MIT summer IROP program. Participants will spend approximately 10 weeks during the summer of 2014 at the Loughborough Sports Technology Institute performing research on a topic related to sports technology. Successful applicants will receive an IROP stipend from MIT and housing from Loughborough University.
Eligibility: Applicants must be currently enrolled as undergraduates at MIT.
Application Deadline: March 14, 2014
To apply, please send the following to Susan Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Cover page that includes: your name, contact information including email address, major, expected graduation date, sports interests, proposed Loughborough supervisor (if known).
- One page resume or CV.
- A description of your proposed project. This should be no more than three pages. We recommend less than two pages dedicated to the project description and up to one page to describe why this research should be done at the LU Sports Technology Institute (e.g. which groups would you like interact with, what facilities can they provide that you cannot access elsewhere, what do you gain by spending time at LU, …).
- (Optional) Link to your online engineering portfolio.
Key Dates for 2013/2014
- December 13, 2013: Application due
- December 16, 2013: Decision – Offers extended
- December 20: Accepted student deadline for accepting/declining offer
- March 14, 2014: Application due for 2014 summer internship
Administrative questions can be addressed to Susan Brown (email@example.com). All other inquiries may be sent to the MIT program coordinators Anette Hosoi (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Kim Blair (email@example.com).